Friday, August 3, 2012

That Special Someone

"Sometimes it's easier to feel like you're the only one in the world who's struggling, who's frustrated, unsatisfied or barely getting by but that feelings a lie and if you just hold on. Just find the courage to face it all another day, someone or something will find you and make it all ok because we all need a little help sometimes. Someone to help us hear their music in the world. To remind us it won't always be this way. That someone is out there and that someone will find you."


To my mom, that is my dad. To my dad, that is my mom.

With age comes battles to conquer, victories to celebrate, and hurdles to be crossed with a companion by your side. My parents may be quite different than yours, but I know they're just right for each other and that's all that matters. They don't hold hands when they walk or go out on coffee dates. My mom yells at least 8 times before my dad finally comes to the dinner table every night. My dad will spend countless hours on the internet online shopping for furniture we don't really need. In fact, they even get into arguments sometimes. But at the end of the day I see them climb up the stairs together to go to their room and watch their tv shows together in bed. A routine so simple gives me comfort as I fall asleep in my room next door. No matter how much pressure and out of control our lives may unravel into, seeing them happy gives me strength. 


It makes me think about happiness and love. That someone. They're each other's someones. We always think we're going to finally be happy when we get that promotion or when we get that car we've wanted. But happiness isn't a destination. It's not a place we need to reach to obtain that feeing.  It's a condition. It's like when we're sleepy or hungry. It can come and go and we control it. I think that they recognize this and that's why they find it within each other.


My dad. You meet him a couple times and he's charming and silly. He can easily turn into a kid with me and my brother. While we enjoy messing around with him, we also hold him to a high level of respect. We don't just grow up knowing you will always defend us and that there is always a solution we are capable of from anyone you know. You spend a few days with him and you'll see that he tries to outdo himself past his physical limits because he believes he's strong and determined. You are dad, and I'm not the only one that sees it. You spend a lifetime with him and you learn that he's stubborn but has the biggest heart. He may come off stern and hot tempered at times, but only because he's so protective of the ones he loves. He's one of the hardest workers I know and I'll be sure to consider my successful if even half of that drive is within me at your age. 


My mom. She's one of a kind. Stay at our house for a week and you'll see. I take that back. Spend 24 hours here and she'll make you feel like our house is your second home. Her day starts around 6 AM to pack lunches, unload the dishwasher, do a load of laundry, shower, talk on the phone, go to work, come home, clean the house, sit and do homework with my brother, talk to my dad, Facetime with her brother in India and still has time to come into my room after a long day and check in on me before she goes to bed. She's truly a super woman. She's the most selfless person I know. I know me and my brother don't always listen to her whether she's telling us to do chores or to be safe and text her as I'm leaving the house, but I know it's engraved in our brains somewhere. Her devotion to God is truly uplifting and that is why her heart is always open. Her dedication to her family is overwhelming. She's the one I come to about anything and she always tells me to take the high road and do what is truest to myself. If I can have some of her powers one day, that will really be a dream come true.


These guardians I've been blessed with have enough strength together than I may ever need. Even if they don't agree about things at times they put up a front together for the sake of me and my brother. They're each other's someones and I know they can get through anything and everything. They help each other hear the music in the world when it feels like all the lights are out and it's silent as a pin drop. Their love reminds me that when I'm frustrated it won't always be that way, that I can face everything for one more day to keep going. While I wasn't there the day it happened, I couldn't be happier that they found each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment